Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 1, Travel Day!

I'm finally here in Casper!! Overall the trip over here was not bad. I left the house at 5:15 AM and my mom dropped me off at the airport around 6:00. Having checked in the night before on United.com I went straight to security, which was a breeze, and was at my gate by 6:20.

My plane for today N567UA
My plane for today is N567UA, a 757-222 delivered in 1992 to United. Boarding started around 7:10 and we left the gate on time at 7:40.
View from my seat
The previous night I changed my seat to 31F with the hopes that I would have a whole row to myself, and as it turned out the only other person in row 31 sat in seat 31A. This meant that I could switch to the middle seat from the window to recline without disturbing the person behind me (for a layout of the aircraft check out seatguru.com). The load for today's flight was relatively low, around 60% in economy. Takeoff was smooth from runway 9 and soon we were climbing through Boston's rainy weather.
Climbing through "the soup"
As we leveled off at 40,000 ft. the first drink service began. I got some tomato juice (I know its weird, but I can only drink them when flying. I think it has to do with the fact that our taste buds are not that good at altitude). The movie was Our Idiot Brother, but I rather tried to catch up on some sleep.
It's always a sunny day, you just need to keep climbing!!

Mmm, tomato juice!!
When I woke up I think we were somewhere over Iowa (there was never any moving map displayed) and another drink service was conducted. This time I opted for some tea, and decided to watch the episode of Big Bang Theory which was playing.

Second drink service
Soon the flight attendants collected our empty cups and we begun our decent into Colorado.
This farm looks like Pac-Man!
Landing in Denver was uneventful (Check out this video) and soon we were at gate B25 after 4 hours and 13 minutes.
Landing in Denver
 Overall it was a good flight. The FA's were very professional, and the seat belt sign came on only twice due to light turbulence. The only thing to complain about was the only food available had to be purchased, which I knew booking my flight, but $7.00 for some chips and salsa was a bit much (hence me not buying anything on board).
I had never been to Denver airport and only had 45 minutes to catch my next plane so I didn't get a chance to take any pictures. Because my next gate was B91 I got to walk the length of Denver's terminal B, which was very nice (would definitely connect through DEN again). On my way to the gate I passed a food court area and grabbed a blueberry muffin (which was not that great, the ones I make are better!) and continued onto my gate. The regional terminal was packed with people and I could only find a seat three gates down from my plane. The flight to Casper itself was also over booked as they made a call for four volunteers to switch to the later flight. Around 10:50 boarding began, and we left the gate for an on-time departure of 11:18.
Unfortunately I had to gate check my carry-on because the overhead bins on the CRJ-200 were too small. I forgot my camera in my carry-on so again no pictures. We took off from runway 25 and made a slow climb to 26,000 ft. There was one drink service from which I ordered a sprite from our very chipper flight attendant. After a short while (which I spent playing Uno on my iPod) we began our decent into Casper. Landing was fairly smooth and after quick taxi to the gate the engines were shut off. We deplaned through a gate where I got my carry on back and soon I met my friend at the waiting area.
Overall United did a very good job. Everything went very smoothly and there were no complications. I would definitely book with them again after today's experience. Just remember to buy something to eat at the airport before longer flights or be prepared to pay a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment